The IMACC Award for Teaching Excellence is an annual award given to an outstanding mathematics teacher in a community college. The recipient of this award will then be nominated for the AMATYC Award for Teaching Excellence to be given next spring (and every odd-numbered year). Please take time to nominate a colleague who you feel is an outstanding teacher and who meets the following criteria.
- Instructional Effectiveness and Support of Students
innovative teaching strategies, alternative assessment methods, curriculum development, creating a learning environment for all students, accessible to students in and out of the classroom, etc.
- Professional Involvement and Professional Development/Renewal Activities
active participation in professional organizations, speeches, articles, conferences, etc.
- Service to Departments/Division/College
active contributor to college community
Nominees must be IMACC members whose primary assigned duties must be delivering instruction in an associate degree granting program. Nominees must have the equivalent of a minimum of 5 years of full-time teaching experience. Individuals can be selected for the award only once.
IMACC members and non-members, such as a supervisor, may nominate. Members may nominate themselves.
Nominations must include only the following*.
- cover letter from nominator addressing the three criteria above, not to exceed 3 pages in at least 12 point font.
- completed Teaching Excellence Nomination Form.
* In fairness to all candidates, no additional materials will be considered. Pages exceeding limits will not be considered. Materials not in the checklist will not be considered. Faxed materials will not be considered.
Additional information will be requested from the winner before the application can be submitted to the AMATYC Awards Committee for the AMATYC Award for Teaching Excellence.
Information should be submitted to Deanna Welsch, IMACC Awards Committee Chair.
Illinois Central College
One College Dr
East Peoria, IL 61635
If you do not receive confirmation of an nomination, then please follow up with Deanna Welsch.
IMACC Award for Teaching Excellence Recipients
- 2004 – Jim Trefzger, Parkland College
- 2006 – Diane Koenig, Rock Valley College
- 2009 – James Jones, Richland Community College
- 2010 – Bob Hickey, Kishwaukee College
- 2014 – Neal McKenna, Kishwaukee College
- 2015 – Brian Mercer, Parkland College
- 2016 – Robert Cappetta, College of DuPage
- 2017 – Paul McCombs, Rock Valley College